Family Law Attorneys in Columbia, SC


In the family law and divorce setting, it is important to hire an attorney who is compassionate and sympathetic, but will still work aggressively to achieve a result in your best interests, whether by trial or settlement. Our firm offers experienced legal representation primarily in domestic matters, giving every client the personal attention they deserve.

At the Law Offices of Shea & Barron, we handle a full range of family law and domestic relations matters for clients throughout South Carolina, including:

  • Divorce – simple to complex
  • Child Custody & Visitation (including relocation and modification)
  • Child Support establishment and modifications
  • Spousal Support/Alimony establishment and modification
  • Paternity determinations
  • Property Division (including businesses and professional practices)
  • Marital Property Settlements
  • Pre-litigation Consultations
  • Pre/Post-Marital Settlement Agreements
  • Contempt proceedings/Enforcement of Court Orders
  • Name Changes
  • Guardian ad Litem services

Our Family Law Attorneys

David C. Shea has focused his practice largely on divorce and child custody matters since founding his own firm in 2004 after his partnership with Kermit S. King. Almand J. Barron has practiced exclusively family law her entire career.

Each has handled numerous divorce cases involving substantial assets and complex issues of property division, including professional practices, small businesses, stock options, rental properties, and retirement plans (such as military retirement, state retirement, 401(k), 401(b), IRA, and defined benefit plans).

Both partners are Fellows of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, a national organization whose mission is to provide leadership that promotes the highest degree of professionalism and excellence in the practice of family law. The organization has rigorous admission requirements, with just over 30 South Carolina members.

Almand Barron is board certified in family law by the the National Board of Trial Advocates, a national organization dedicated to bettering the quality of trial advocacy in our nation’s courtrooms and helping consumers find experienced and highly qualified trial lawyers.

David Shea is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the leading peer-review rating service for attorneys for more than a century.


We invite potential clients to meet with Mr. Shea or Ms. Barron and discuss their individual situation and particular needs. Divorce consultations are billed at an hourly rate. If you have any questions, or if you would like to speak with an experienced attorney regarding your divorce or domestic relations matter, please do not hesitate to call our Columbia, South Carolina office at (803) 779-3099. We look forward to hearing from you!

Frequently Asked Family Law Questions

Below are questions frequently asked by people in need of a domestic attorney. The section below is not intended as legal advice; consultation with an attorney on the client’s unique set of facts is necessary because the law is constantly evolving and changing. Each case in family court is different, and advice from friends or family, though well-meaning, might not be applicable to your situation and sometimes might even be harmful to your case.

Why Don't You Offer Free Consultations?

During a consultation at our firm, a potential client learns much about the law and receives individualized advice from attorneys who are experienced in family law. By charging for consultations, only potential clients who are serious about addressing their unique concerns are scheduled, allowing the firm to devote its time to those clients rather than those who are seeking general information.

I suspect my spouse is cheating. What can I do?

A number of different actions can be taken to make this determination. However, a non-lawyer might advise you to do some things that might not be legal. You should consult with an attorney in such a situation to get individualized advice.

I'm already divorced, but my ex-spouse in not abiding by the terms of our order. Is there anything I can do?

Yes. You can ask the Court to hold your spouse in contempt by filing a Rule to Show Cause.

I'm already divorced, but a change in circumstances has occurred with respect to my children and/or my finances. Can I get my divorce decree modified?

The Family Court always has jurisdiction to modify orders regarding custody, visitation, and child support. If the changes have been substantial and material, modification may be possible. Examples of substantial changes include moving out of commuting distance, physical or drug abuse of the other parent, loss of a job or an increase in income; and many other factors. Remarriage alone is not necessary a substantial change but may also be a factor.

Can I be ordered to pay college expenses for my child, or can I get my ex-spouse to help pay?

Yes, however there a a number of factors to be considered by the court to determine whether or not payment will be required, and to what extent and length of time.

I am an adult and would like to get my name changed. Is that possible?

Certainly. South Carolina’s name change laws were extensively revised in July 2002, and there are more steps required to obtain a name change than there were prior to that time. However, there often are no difficulties in you being allowed to change your name as long as the appropriate procedure is followed.